Saturday, October 13, 2007

It lives!


My box from Ted Weber showed up yesterday (speaker, replacement capacitors, fuses, light bulb), but my tubes from Antique Electronic Supply aren't supposed to show up until Monday. I got impatient, went to a local repair place, Audio Pro (where they seem to know well what they are doing) and got a cheap trio of tubes (two are used, one is a cheap Chinese tube) so I could see what, if anything, happened when I powered it up.

To my amazement -- it worked! I plugged in my guitar, played a chord, and sound came out! It even sounded like a guitar!

The tone controls work, the volume knob works, neither is very scratchy (they're a little scratchy), and at low volume it sounds nice. At high volume it sounds not so nice, but then I haven't started replacing any capacitors yet.

I was a little worried about the tubes, because last night (pre-tube) I plugged it in and measured the voltage coming off of the power transformer. According to the specs it should be putting out 660V, but I was reading 780V, and the 6.3V was reading 6.8V. I was concerned that I'd burn up the tubes. Both the proprietor at Audio Pro and my friend who knows about this stuff tell me that being 15-20% high on the voltage isn't much (or necessarily anything) to worry about. I might still replace the power transformer with one from Weber (for $35), but I'm in no immediate rush (especially now that I have a spare set of tubes).

No comments: